Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Twinge . . . ?!

Sooo much to share in this blog - some weeks I feel like I have nothing exciting to share and some are very eventful!!

Most exciting for me is that I'm pretty sure I felt some movement this morning . . . there was a little twinge/flutter feeling on one side of my tummy . . . it was a bit of a strange sensation as I wasn't 100% sure at first but it went on for a few minutes and felt different than anything else I've felt - so I'm pretty sure Baby M was making his/her presence physically known to me for the first time today:) It was at about 5 am this morning so JM wasn't quite so lucky to be in on this activity but there will be lots more to come for him to experience!

Then later this morning we went for our Dr. appt . . . where we got to hear the heartbeat again - and this will never get old for me!! Baby M's heart was going at about 140 bpm (same as little Dill this week Christy!) and is still just the greatest sound!! We also had our next ultrasound scheduled for next Tuesday - I JUST CAN'T WAIT to see this kid!!! The last 7 week ultrasound/smudge was great but to see a real babe in there is going to be amazing:) As for finding out the sex of our little one . . . the one thing I will say is that over the last few weeks there has been much less debate between JM and I . . . Joel is just as happy to find out and I am just as happy to wait . . . no matter what we decide it will not be a win/lose situation for either of us . . . and what we're most focused on anyway is just seeing a healthy babe!

I've gone for a few more blood tests (for Down's Syndrome and Spina Bifida) and everything has come back as minimal risk which is also wonderful news. The doctor also measured my tummy for the first time today as I expressed to him that I thought I was a little on the small side - however my measurement was 18 inches and I'm 18 weeks so I am right where I should be - I always come out of these doctor appointments so relieved!!

I was SO glad for all this excitement as I have recently been having a few moments of panic and anxiety as I wonder if I'm really ready for all of this. I think seeing my hubby carry on as 'normal' with his life (running marathons, having a drink now and then, going on boys trips etc) had me a bit freaked out as I was feeling like I still wanted to be able to do all of the things I did before I got pregnant (what I would do for a glass - or two! - on a Friday night after a long week!!). Anyway - I've decided that these feelings are normal and thanks to my ever-supportive gals who talked me off 'my ledge' I know it's going to be worth every minute!! And JM is also starting to realize that "Dad" may have to start easing up on a few activities as this is as much his doing as mine ;-) And really one little listen to that heartbeat goes a long way in wiping out all those doubts and anxieties!

Aside from all that I also had a dentist appointment this week and I'm pretty sure I got more parenting advice from the dentist and hygienist than I will ever get from my doctor!!! My dentist was quite stern with me on topics such as pumping breast milk so that Dad can have an active role in feeding . . . and how Dad is not just the 'poopy diaper changer' . . . and how just because Dad doesn't smell like sour milk doesn't mean that he shouldn't be as involved with the new babe as Mom is!!! It was pretty entertaining to hear all this coming from my dentist - who I don't really know all that well . . . he has 4 kids and apparently wasn't 'allowed' to be a very active Dad until the kids were older so I think he's on quite a mission now to protect other Dad's from his fate!!!

So that's been our exciting week - will hopefully have some ultrasound pictures to share after next Tuesday:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!! I was waiting for you to experience and share this fluttering/twinge special moment!!

Joel, soon you will feel Baby M move when touching Kandis's baby bump :)

Shortly thereafter, be prepared for Kandis feeling it isn't quite as much fun any longer when Baby M is exercising rigorously!

Especially the kicks under the ribs... ouch, and of course, the poor timing, like when it's time to get some sleep. Baby M will be thinking "I don't think so....kick"! :)

Additionally, I am happy your test results have been good. That is always reassuring news to hear.

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting! Tell Joel to hang in there... it shouldn't be long before he gets to feel it as well!