Sunday, December 15, 2013

5 Year Old Kailie-Bear!


One of my favorite things about this blog is I finally get the chance to say (write) all the things I've been thinking but wouldn't necessarily say to just anyone.  It is the place I don't have to be modest and humble because when it comes to my babies, and in this particular case Kailie, I am far from modest and humble, in fact I am unapologetically proud and boastful!!  One day when my kids look back over this (if they so choose) I want them to see that:)  Just a bit of fair warning for anyone besides Kailie that might be reading this ;-)


My Sweet Kailie-Bear,

Mommy is over a month late at posting this letter in our blog, but I have thought about it every day and I've enjoyed the time to mull over the 5 year old girl you have become, now I finally have found a few moments to put all these great thoughts in print!

First and foremost I want you to know that Daddy & Mommy just could not be more proud of the girl you are . . . there will never be enough words in any language to describe just how loved you are and how incredibly blessed we are to be your parents.

This has been a very big year for you as you have started 'big kid school'!  We completely underestimated how well you would handle the transition, but I think that is just because there will always be a part of me that wants my little girl to come running back to Mommy rather than charge off into the world with as much confidence and courage as you have shown.  You have just taken off in school and you must put in such a great effort each day because by the time I collect you around 3pm you are SO completely exhausted!!  That doesn't stop you from chattering non-stop the whole way home about your school adventures, but once we are home for the evening, dinner and bedtime cannot come soon enough for you.

When I think of the 5 year old girl you have become here are a few of the things of what comes to mind . . . 

One thing that has never changed about you is your sweet sweet spirit.  I often meet other parents from your school and when they ask who my child is at school and I tell them it's you, I generally get the same reaction . . . . "oh your Kailie's Mom, she is just such a sweet lovely girl" . . . given the very high boy to girl ratio in your school this is often followed up with . . . "my son has such a crush on her" !!  You just have something so special and gentle about you - I think it's why you've always have been and always will be my Angel :)

One aspect that we especially see of your sweet spirit is your giving nature.  You can very often be found wrapping up one of your toys to give to Kolton as a gift.  This past year friends from Daddy's office went on a mission trip to the Philippines and you were very excited to put together a large bag of your stuffies and dolls for the kids there.  When it is a friend's or cousin's birthday the first thing you do is search out a toy of yours that you think they will like and wrap it up - while we can often talk you out of giving your toys away - there have been times you were determined to give them a favorite toy or book and while I held my breath waiting for the aftermath disappointment, it never comes.  You excitedly 'bought' Christmas gifts for Daddy, Kolton and me from school and they are wrapped under the tree and you are most anxious for us to open them even though you remind us we can't until Christmas!!  You are a beautiful example of how giving really is better than receiving:)

You are an AMAZING big sister!  Kolton is SO lucky to have you.  At a much younger age Kolton has learned how to kick up a bigger fuss than you and that often gets him what he wants, at your expense.  While you're not always happy to give in (and nor should you be) you more often than not are the one who keeps the peace and gives into his tantrums!  As a result of this though, and many other reasons, he absolutely adores you.  You are teaching him what a best friend really is and I hope this is what you both will remain forever!

You are SO clever!!  Every time I say you are so smart, you tell me that you are also clever, because smart and clever are the same thing ;-)  When you started school you were only mildly interested in reading, but soon after a few books came home for homework you started to take off and now you have an insatiable desire to read EVERYTHING!!! Wherever we are and whatever we are doing you will find something to sound-out and read.  I'm proud of the reader you have become but I'm even more excited and proud of your passion for learning.

You are quickly becoming one of my most favorite friends!  I know Mommy's are supposed to be Mommy's, and not be their daughter's best buddy, but to me a friend is someone you want to be around a lot, someone to spend special time with, someone you look forward to seeing and doing things with, someone who understands you and who you 'get' . . . well my sweet girl I certainly think all of that and more about you.  We have started going on dates and I couldn't tell you who has more fun on these dates!  The time we get for just the two of us is fairly infrequent but when we do get it, even if it's a quick trip to the supermarket, it's always enjoyable and special.

Some of the things you love to do as a 5 year old . . . I would say your favorite sporty activity is swimming.  Since you've started swimming at the National Sports Centre here, it's not uncommon for a coach from another swim group to start asking questions about you.  You're so little but such a great swimmer!  Daddy has put you in Soccer this year and when you get out there you look like you're having fun but it's often a battle to get you to go, which we don't fight too hard as you are often the only girl that comes out so I don't blame you too much about not loving this one!  We've taken a little break from gymnastics and dance this year but it sounds like dance is something your missing a bit so we may give that another try.  Bike riding is another activity you really like, however we soon need to get you off those training wheels!!

Aside from the sports, your real love seems to be in music and art.  You love your colouring / drawing / crafting so much and will always choose this option over any sports (except maybe swimming) and at school you were supposed to choose one music club and you insisted on both choir and handbells . . . I also see piano lessons in your very near future which you have already expressed an interest in, much to Mommy's delight:)

You truly are my easy child (sorry Kolton!!). You never get time-outs (which you're very proud of :)), and you (mostly!) do what you're told (albeit sometimes on your own slower schedule!), you eat great, you sleep great (although mornings are generally not your favorite time of the day!) you behave very well, and you're very polite . . . . you are not perfect however most of your 'imperfect' moments come out of being too tired after a long day / week at school.  All of your teachers at school only have very positive things to say about you, and anyone that has ever looked after you always raves on about how easy you are to babysit.  One of the things I am really loving is to watch your growing confidence.  I've worried that your soft sweet side has often made you a bit timid, but as you get a bit older you are gaining a quiet confidence that makes me very proud and also a bit relieved.  You are an amazing girl Kailie, my prayer for you is that you will use that understated confidence to be a strong leader and not be taken in by anyone that might undermine the amazing person you are.

Kailie your definitely our little beauty but it's who you have become on the inside that really takes my breath away every day.  You've grown up so quickly already and despite our best efforts we haven't figured out how to freeze these amazing moments so we'll just do our best to keep enjoying each and every moment we get with you.  The first night that I held you in my arms I cried because I knew God had given me such a special little girl . . . since then there have already been countless times I have shed those same 'happy' tears as I can't believe how truly blessed I am to have you as my daughter.

Happy 5th Birthday My Angel!  xx 


Out for dinner with Daddy & Kolton 
Our little Princess at her friend Ryley's birthday party!
K&K "helping" Mommy with laundry!
The BIG 5!!
We celebrated with a Build-A-Bear Party that came to our house!
Doc McStuffins Cake (made with much love as always by Mommy)! xx
New additions to the 'few' stuffies that you already have:)
The friends who came to celebrate!

Sweeter than sugar ;)
My goofy girl and her SELFIES!!
more selfies . . . . 
and more selfies . . . 
and more selfless . . . (actually there are about 100 of Kailie-selfies on my camera but I thought most would stop reading after too many)!!!
An afternoon cruise at Botanical Gardens.
Ever-faithful Lamby and friends.
Gym Day at school!
Kailie will occasionally go back to her old preschool (Kolton's school now) and read the kids a story . . . given her desire to be a teacher some day combined with her love of reading - this is a highly anticipated event!!
Goofy kids :)
BFF's

No comments: