Today my love, you turned 4 and I know I've said it a thousand times, but I still feel like it was just yesterday that you were not even 24 hours old and I was sitting in the rocking chair at the hospital with tears streaming down my face because I was so happy to have finally met my little angel-girl. I know there have been moments (or even days) over the past four years that have been difficult but to be perfectly honest those moments have faded out of memory and left behind are the endless moments / days / weeks / years of total joy you have brought to our lives!!!
We had a lot of fun celebrating
your 4th Birthday – it was the first year you REALLY got excited
about your upcoming birthday and we were crossing the days off the calendar in
anticipation of the Big Day!! Mummy
& Daddy couldn’t help but get very caught up in the excitement as well and
we all we’re so happy to see Friday arrive!
The day started off with a pancake birthday breakfast made by Daddy and
when we just couldn’t wait anymore we actually had to wake you up to start the
day off as you were enjoying a birthday sleep-in J
Then it was off to school and you were so excited for everyone at school to
celebrate with you. Mommy & Daddy
brought pizza and cupcakes for you and your class to enjoy and as everyone sang
Happy Birthday to you, you were just beaming with excitement. Then the afternoon and evening were filled
with birthday dinner, pressies, cake and a whole lot of Kailie time! It really was a perfect day J
After you finally were off to
dreamland Daddy & I had some time to think about all the wonderful things
that you meant to us . . . to name just a few of so many . . .
- You are really such a wonderfully good girl. We went through a time of some pretty frustrating power struggles (especially around bed time) from when you were about 3/ 3.5, but we really seem to have come through that. For the most part (though not without exception!) you really just love being good and boy has it ever made it a whole lot easier on us. The only time we really have struggles is when you are so over tired from busy days at school, then dinner can be a bit challenging but on those days especially, bedtime is a breeze! Your desire to please and have our approval comes shining through in your behavior and makes us just love the time we get to spend with you.
- You just ADORE your baby brother. It’s usually the first thing anyone hears about from you . . . and if anyone gives you anything, you’ll always say, ‘can I have one for my brother too?’ – it really is very sweet. Kolton sure LOVES you too, the two of you have a very special bond that supersedes all biting, toy-stealing, Mommy-time pushing, puzzle breaking battles! At any time if we tell Kolton to give you a hug he’ll come running with arms wide open to give you a big hug!! The best part is that when the rest of us try and get these big hugs from Kolton he just goes on playing and doesn’t pay us any attention! When you are around Kolton he is only interested in what your doing (which can drive you crazy at times) but there is just no distracting him away from youJ
- Your thirst to learn is at an all time high! We just can’t believe how much you already know and how strong your desire is to learn more. To be honest it’s an overwhelming responsibility when I think about all that we should be trying to teach you. You love to teach us all the things you are learning too, right now I’m doing my best to keep up with the Spanish lessons you are giving me but I’m not sure I’m doing that great! One of my more embarrassing moments included you insisting on making me repeat “Twinkle Twinkle” in Spanish when we were in a densely populated Spanish-speaking area of Miami – I just knew by all the funny looks that I was getting that I was NOT getting any of the words right!!!
- Not only are you a good girl, you really keep us laughing. The school you go to is primarily Bermudian so you have picked up a bit of a Bermudian accent that a few people have noticed. The other night as I was tucking you into bed I was having a laugh at something you did and you gave me a full ‘head-shaking, full of attitude’ “What you laughin’ at Girrrrl??!??!?”. What comes out of that little mouth of yours some days has us just in stitches!!! Another favorite moment is when we are saying our bed time prayers, you like to say your version of the Lord’s Prayer which includes . . . give us this day or Daddy-Bear (Daily Bread) . . . . lead us not into temptation but de-lead us to the Eagle (deliver us from evil). And you just refuse to be corrected; frankly I’m not even interested in correcting you as I know all too soon I’ll miss these little wonderful nuances you add! Another comment that always brings a smile to our faces is when you tell us how when you grow up you’re going to live in Tony & Jene’s house (our landlords who live right underneath us!) so that you can come visit us every day – you recently told us that would be when your 10 as you’ll be an adult then! I do hope that you’ll be with us just a ‘few’ more years than that!!
I'd hum you lullabies.
But then I'd miss you singing
your concert's big surprise.
If I could keep you little,
I'd hold your hand everywhere.
But then I'd miss you knowing,
"I can go... you stay there."
If I could keep you little,
I'd kiss your cuts and scrapes.
But then I'd miss you
learning from your own mistakes.
If I could keep you little,
I'd strap you in real tight.
But then I'd miss you swinging
from your treetop height.
If I could keep you little,
I'd decide on matching clothes.
But then I'd miss you choosing
dots on top and stripes below.
If I could keep you little,
I'd cut your bread into shapes.
But then I'd miss you finding,
"Hey! I like ketchup with my grapes!"
If I could keep you little,
I'd tell you stories every night.
But then I'd miss you reading
the words you've learned by sight.
If I could keep you little,
I'd push you anywhere.
But then I'd miss you feeling
your speed from here to there!
If I could keep you little,
I'd pick for you a friend or two.
But then I'd miss you finding
friends you like who like you too!
If I could keep you little,
we'd finger-paint our art.
But then I'd miss you creating
stories from you heart.
If I could keep you little,
I'd push your ducky float.
But then I'd miss you feeling
the wind behind summer's boat.
If I could keep you little,
we'd nap in our fort midday.
But then I'd miss you sharing
adventures from camp away.
If I could keep you little,
I'd fly you with my feet.
But then I'd miss you seeing
sky and clouds from your seat.
If I could keep you little,
I'd keep you close to me.
But then I'd miss you growing
into who you're meant to be!
Love you so much my big girl -
xoxo
| Everyone was ready to get the Birthday Party started - except for the Birthday Girl!!! |
![]() |
| My sweet silly 4 year old! |
| Always a little dancer. |
| Hello Kitty Cupcakes for everyone at school. |
| School Celebrations - Kailie just loved it when everyone sang to her:) |
| Such a Happy Birthday Girl! |





No comments:
Post a Comment